The term “all season tires” does not necessarily mean that the tires you’re buying are good or offer great performance in all seasons. Primarily, these types of tires are compromise, which means that the designer traded wet grip in order to gain some mobility in snow. Through these gears, the manufacturers also provide drivers with sufficient year-round performance, saving them the hassle and bustle of tire changing, before and after the winter season.
However, not all mobility in snow is equivalent to good grip in snow. Keep in mind that the snow traction of these tires varies from almost none to a great level. An all season tire features lesser damp-road grip than a summer tire, even from the same brand or manufacturer.
Therefore, it is only the winter season when best all season tires offer more traction than the summer tires. In this regard, this article discusses the top-rated all-season tires the market has to offer, giving you only the best-of-the-best in the industry if you need the traction advantage.
Best All Season Tires Reviews
1. Michelin Primacy MXV4 Radial Tire
- Radial car tire for Luxury Performance Touring designed for All-Season use
- Provides comfortable driving without compromising control, offering good wet braking, precise handling, refined ride quality, and all-season safety
- Michelin quality in a low noise level tire providing a quiet ride, meeting the demanding standards of the world's leading luxury car makers
- Stops up to 29 feet shorter in wet and cold conditions versus competition thanks to the sunflower oil additive in our tread compound
- 55,000 miles manufacturer's treadwear limited warranty; 6 years standard limited warranty; P215/55R17 93V
With an average rating of 4.7-Stars is the Michelin Primacy MXV4 Radial Tire, featuring Advanced MaxTouch Construction and Comfort Control Technology like no other all weather tires on the market. It also boasts a 2-D active sipes that opens when needed and alternately lock together.
Michelin Primacy MXM4 consumer reports indicate that these tire’s construction has the capacity in maximizing its contact with the road, while distributing the forces of acceleration in an even manner, including cornering and braking, which results in longer wear.
This is the best all season tires that allow you to enjoy a quiet and comfortable ride all the time. Its Comfort Control Technology™ makes use of a computer-optimized design, plus a precision manufacturing that reduces road noise and vibration. It also features a confident wet-weather handling design with unique tread, offering several biting edges for an all-season grip whether in rain or snow.
Hence, Michelin has always been committed to bringing together multiple performances with regards to its products. Throughout its designing and manufacturing processes, this brand has been prioritizing durability, fuel efficiency, and safety all at the same time. MICHELIN® Total Performance™ has been and will always be the difference on every tire.
All the more, Primacy MXV4 radial tires are equivalent to the brand’s Grand Touring All-Season tires, which have been produced to meet the requirements and standards of sedans, minivans, coupes, crossover utility vehicles, and more.
These are the best all season tires for snow due to its all-season tread compound that have been molded into a symmetric style combined with notched shoulders, continuous center ribs, and separate intermediate tread blocks.
2. Pirelli Cinturato P7 Performance Radial Tire
Meanwhile, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Performance Radial Tire garners an average rating of 4.7-Stars. This best all season tire features all-season performance and longer tire life. Similar to the previous product, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 also offers an improved fuel economy design, including the reduction of noise and vibration.
It claims to be the perfect combination of acoustic comfort, low weight, low rolling resistance, and good mileage, alongside the handling and braking performance offered only by Pirelli.
Also, the P7 Performance Radial Tire is Pirelli’s very first “Green Performance” tire, which has been created to make the most of the latest materials, tread pattern design, and structures. All of these features ensure savings, environmental conservation, safety and comfort on virtually all road surfaces.
Moreover, the Cinturato P7 is on top when it comes to the 2010 ADAC summer tire test, guaranteeing its leadership with regards to performance, eco-compatibility, and safety simultaneously. As one of the best rated all season tires, P7 tends to reduce fuel consumption as well as CO2 emissions, making it friendly for the environment.
While it’s constructed from eco-compatible materials, it also minimizes environmental impact throughout the production stage up to the tire life.
Besides its long-lasting design, it also offers high levels of safety and performance, making it ideal for luxury touring vehicles and for drivers who are in search of predictable handling, daily comfort, plus all-season traction. Pirelli Cinturato P7 certainly excels in terms of low noise, long wear, energy efficiency, and year-round traction, despite the snow.
3. Continental PureContact Radial Tire
- It has taken the industry-leading PureContact to the next level with PureContact LS. Reduced noise; improved wet grip, wear and robustness; combined with enhanced snow performance, delivers confident driving
- The asymmetric pattern features stable tread blocks in the shoulders for lateral grip and high-speed handling, and the wide, central rib provides solid on-center feel and confident straight-line tracking.
- Comfort Ride Technology incorporates an underlay beneath the tread that is designed to isolate the tread from the casing and reduce the amount of perceptible vibration in the cabin
- All-season tire for luxury cars and luxury sports cars
- Fit type: Universal Fit
On the other hand, the Continental PureContact Radial Tire receives a 4.6-Star as an average customer rating. The Continental Tire claims to be a leading manufacturer of an extensive product line of tires that meet a wide array of drivers’ needs and selection of vehicles alike.
All season tire reviews indicate that the internal structure of this tire is constructed with twin steel belts, which are reinforced with a spiral-wound joint less polyamide. Such combination of structures results in high-speed durability and ride uniformity.
Due to the ComfortRide Technology used in its construction, the Continental PureContact offers a cushioning rubber layer that tends to absorb vibrations caused by irregular road surfaces. Also, these tires feature a weight-optimized construction, resulting in weight reduction and rolling resistance.
Furthermore, the PureContact Radial Tire makes use of EcoPlus Technology, incorporating all-season and silica-enhanced tread compound, +Silane additives, and Tg-F Polymers that improve tread wear, traction on wet roads, and fuel efficiency all at the same time.
Primarily, the compound has been formed into a computer-optimized asymmetric tread design in order to curb pattern noise. Meanwhile, the chamfered tread block edges result in an enhanced dry-road handling.
Separate tread blocks were siped so as to provide extra biting edges. The vertical ridges within the circumferential grooves – known as Traction Grooves also enhance 3-dimensional snow-to-snow traction. Unlike other tires on the market, this model boasts Tuned Performance Indicators, alerting drivers of the tire’s probable performance in different weather conditions.
All in all, the Continental PureContact Radial Tire is the best all season tire for snow, considering its unmatched designs and technologies such as the EcoPlus Technology and ComfortRide Technology, offered exclusively by Continental.
4. Goodyear Assurance TripleTred
- Fit type: Universal Fit
- Made in United States
- Package Height: 8.0"
- Package Length: 26.0"
With a whopping average rating of 5-Stars is the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. These are premium passenger all season tires from Goodyear, which have been created for sedans, minivans, and coupes and for drivers searching for confident traction in all seasons. Assurance TripleTred has an exclusive design with 3 unique tread zones, hence, the label “TripleTred”, providing year-round drive and all-season traction, despite light snow.
TripleTred’s directional tread pattern is geared towards traction not only in wet and wintry conditions, but also in dry season. Called as the Dry Zone, this design equates to large shoulder blocks, offering a confident maneuvering even on dry pavement.
The Water Zone, on the other hand, boasts sculptured Aquachannel grooves, helping evacuate water, while slushing so as to enhance traction on wet roads.
Finally, the Ice Zone equates to a unique tread compound built from innovative polymers combined with traction-enhancing volcanic sand, plus glass fibers. It has been formed into a continuous center rib together with multiple biting edges; thereby, enhancing the gripping traction on glossy roads, even those packed with ice and snow.
Considered as the best all season tires in snow by actual users, the Assurance TripleTred also boasts Evolving Traction Grooves from Goodyear, beginning with 1/10″ wide sipes. This tread pattern tends to maximize footprint contact as the tire is new, while it broadens in wider lateral grooves when the tire wears.
Over and above, Goodyear Assurance TripleTred blends durability, ride quality, and an enhanced comfort simultaneously.
5. Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire – 225/50R15 91H
- Advanced belt package constructed using high-tensile steel belt and jointless nylon cap ply to reinforce the tread area, assuring high speed stability
- Outstanding all-season tread compound improves wear resistance and ride comfort
- Shoulder blocks with sharp leading edge and a rounded trailing edge to prevent heel and toe wear
- Ultra hard bead filler maximizes lateral grip and high speed durability
- Rim protector in lower sidewall safeguards wheel against scratches and abrasions
Last, but not the least is the Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire with an average rating of 4.8-Stars. These are considered as the best all season car tires from Kumho, which are designed specifically for drivers of high-performance sedans, sporty coupes, and mid-level sports cars. They are also perfect for those who want a wise combination of tread wear and daily street performance.
Ecsta AST KU25 has an exclusive design, offering high-performance handling on wet and dry roads. It delivers an unmatched combination of low noise, all-season traction and comfort all at the same time. With an advanced technology, the tread compound is formed into a slightly directional tread style, promoting even wear, cornering stability, braking traction, and responsive steering during various conditions.
The design of the directional tread features 4 circumferential and multi-cross grooves, which significantly help in expelling the water quickly, resists hydroplaning, while enhancing wet weather traction simultaneously. The high sipe density, along with the tread block edges also improves wintertime snow traction and wet weather handling.
Also claims to be the best all weather tires, Kumho has incorporated an exclusive ESCOT Technology in improving the steering response as well as increasing the tread life through an optimal cord tension distribution within the side wall. For the reduction of road noise during the tire’s life, variable pitch shoulder blocks are added into the entire design.
Indeed, Ecsta AST KU25 has been engineered, especially for today’s increasing demands, meeting excellent mileage and street performance, combined with low noise and comfort that are required by virtually all drivers.
All-season Tires Buying Guide
By now, you should have understood that very good all season tires offer a balance of capabilities, delivering acceptable performance in dry and wet conditions, plus good traction in snow. With that said, and after learning about the top-rated tires on the market, it is still essential to obtain an in-depth understanding of the primary advantages of these types of tires.
So, here are the key benefits of having the best all season tires and a comprehensive comparison between the reviewed products above.
- Longer Tread Life – Compared to summer tires with shallower tread depths, all-season tires offer moderate tread depths, including rubber compounds that have been designed to deliver longer tread life. While it is offered in different models, sizes, speed ratings, and load capacities, and offered to varieties of vehicles, all-season tires generally provide a comfortable ride and handling.
- Less Grip – The best all season tires for snow and ice also perform effectively in warm weather, offering less grip compared to summer tires. They sacrifice some braking, cornering, and steering capabilities. But, this tradeoff is, in fact, necessary in order for the tires give acceptable performance in case of a light winter condition, while providing long tread life at the same time.
- Traction in Winter – All-season tires are also capable of delivering traction in winter. However, these tires are not recommended for extreme winter conditions. Therefore, snow tires are more acceptable and worth considering.
- For Moderate Climates and Driving – While these tires offer a good combination of winter and summer performance, they are sensible options for drivers with moderate driving styles and in moderate climates.
Comparison and Top Picks
This section emphasizes the comparison between the reviewed all-season tires, including the top picks in correlation with the features, technology, design, and capabilities.
- Year-round Grip and Smooth Ride – The Goodyear Assurance TripleTred is top-notch when it comes to long tread life, smooth ride, and year-round grip. The Continental PureContact, on the other hand, is going through a current test, but is a better replacement and shows more impressive indications than its predecessor – the Continental ProContact EcoPlus.
- All-season Performance – In terms of all-season performance, the tires must provide an enhanced grip and handling over the standard tires on wet and dry roads. But, they offer shorter tread wear as expected in most tire models. In this category, the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and the Continental PureContact are the top-rated options as both of these models offer impressive tread life and all-weather grip.
- Ultra-high Performance – Ultra-high performance tires are generally used in sporty cars. This capability highlights responsive handling and persistent wet and dry grip at the modest winter traction’s expense. Having ultra-high performance all-season tires are very practical, compared to ultra-high performance summer tires as the latter might lose grip in cold conditions. Under this category, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 and the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred are the top picks.
Crucial Steps During Selection
During your selection and before deciding on what are the best all season tires to purchase, here are the essential steps you would want to consider.
- First, ensure that you’re in the correct climate for having all-season tires. Again, keep in mind that these tires are not necessarily intended for winter conditions that involve cold temperatures, ice, and snow.
- Confirm the original tires of your vehicle. If your car came with all-season tires, then a similar choice is likely the best choice.
- You do a thorough research on the safety rating of these tires, usually done online or via consumer and automotive magazines. Make sure that you have the latest reports.
- Make another research and comparison with regard to the tire traction rating. Such rating is usually labeled as A, AA, B, or C. It is wise to pick one with A or AA rating to obtain the best traction.
- Ensure that the tire tread offers maximum traction on virtually all road surfaces and in different weather conditions.
- Learn about the mileage of tires if you’re considering pre-owned all-season tires for the sake of saving money. There could be possible distortions, flat spots, or uniformity. So, it is sensible to scrutinize the overall condition carefully.
- Conduct more research and comparison between the available tires in order to arrive at the best all season performance tires. Consumer ratings, reviews, and prices are major factors worth considering, before buying these products.
READ: Kumho Ecsta PA31 2161553 Tire Review
Note: A worthy suggestion is to keep with trusted brands such as Michelin all season tires, Goodyear, Pirelli, Kumho, and Continental as these manufacturers and brands have already generated a lot of positive reviews from actual users. You can also seek for some pieces of advice from experts, before settling on your purchase because they can always steer you in the right direction in terms of safety, performance, and cost.
Choosing the best tires is not as simple as ABC or mounting the tires and never looking back. However, it is always important to contemplate between the summer tires and all-season tires, including your current climate, driving conditions and style as well as performance needs. Additionally, it is wise to choose between the top 5 or top 10 all season tires, considering their consumer ratings.
Maximizing the performance of your tires is also attributed to having the same type of tires for your vehicle, while taking note of the manufacturer’s recommendations involving speed rating, size, load capacity, and other specifications.
Unlimited choices are always available through online shopping, offering you with a wide array of all season tire ratings, brands, manufacturers, and reviews that all come in handy throughout your search. While choosing the highest-rated all-season tires is not necessary, getting the right choice can always make an average car excel.