A baitcaster is one of the widely-used tools for fishing. With this tool, the spool revolves as you cast. Thus, the inertia must be strong enough to adjust the spool.
These reels need skills and experience as those are difficult to navigate. But if you get to use this tool, you can put the bait at the exact location.
There are many good casting reels in the market, claiming that they’ve got the best equipment for fishing. In this baitcasting reels review, we will give you five of the best brands that you can buy. We will also give you some tips to follow in getting the right casting tool.
Best Baitcasting Reel Review
1. KastKing Royale Legend Baitcasting Fishing Reel
- GREAT FOR BEGINNERS – The 1st Generation Royal legend baitcasting reel has one of the best dual brake systems with a quick, easy to fine-tune reliable centrifugal and magnetic brake system for superior casting control. If you are new to baitcasters or get frustrated with backlashes, the Royale Legend is the perfect choice.
- BIGGER LINE CAPACITY – Royale Legend I is a bigger baitcasting reel than the 2nd generation. It’s a good fit when you need to have more lines on your reel.
- PERFORMANCE - Low profile design bait caster with a super silent high speed 7.0:1 line retrieve. Two color anodized aluminum forged multi-ported whiffle-style spool offers maximum strength while reducing weight.
- UNMATCHED – Precision cut brass gear structure and carbon fiber drag system delivering 17.5 LBs of drag offer the ultimate in a high performance low maintenance baitcasting reel package.
- PROVEN - 11 + 1 double shielded MaxiDur ball bearings for super smooth casting, retrieve, and long life.
The Royale Legend bait caster reel is the latest product of KastKing. It uses advanced dual brakes with a compelling brake system. Hence, it provides full casting control of your rod.
The structure is made of carbon fiber and brass gear. These materials make the rod long-lasting. Furthermore, it performs an outstanding drag power, allowing you to grind the spool with less effort.
Its ball bearings are coated with 11 + 1 shielded MaxiDur, making the metal parts corrosion-resistant. Therefore, you are guaranteed that it will last long, even if it gets wet.
The Royale Legend Baitcasting Reel features a low-profile design. Nonetheless, it produces a high-speed spool rotation, but it doesn’t create a noise. So, if you like fishing without making a noise, then this is the best baitcasting reel you should get.
However, there are times when the rod gets a bit noisy. If this happens, you must turn the reel upside down and put some oil on the gear. This will stop the rod from making a noise.
As for the rod’s spool, it is made of anodized aluminum. This gives optimum strength to the reel and reduces weight, especial if it catches a fish. It also has padded foam grips so it won’t slip on your hands as you roll this part.
The Royale Legend Fishing Reel is ideal for lake fishing. However, you can also use it for saltwater casting. Thus, you can say that it is one of the versatile rods in the market.
2. Piscifun Torrent Baitcasting Fishing Reel
- 【Powerful】Advanced triple carbon washers gives the Torrent low profile baitcasting reel physically powerful 18LB drag, which helps you when battling trophy fish.
- 【Durable】The fishing reel adopt industrial durable strength and climate resistant Japanese Hamai cut 3604 brass gears, these are all top quality gears you expect for baitcaster fishing reels which offer ultimate consistence for reeling in.
- 【Simplify Operation】The Torrent reel uses a magnetic braking system, that has 5 magnets to give the angler many levels of spool braking power to effectively prevent backlash. Beginners can also quickly get up to speed.
- 【Fast Retrieve & Multiple Choices】The Torrent fishing reel is available in 2 different gear ratios: 5.3:1 & 7.1:1, allowing you to fish efficiently no matter which technique you choose! From cranking to flipping and pitching, the Torrent has you covered.
- 【Convenient Design】Unique side-plate oil port for prolonged maintenance for Novice to Pro to maximize your baitcast reel life and performance.
The Piscifun Torrent Baitcasting Fishing Reel is another top-rated baitcasting reel. Its structure is durable yet smooth.
The 13 + 1 ball bearings make the rod three times more durable than its competitors. They are sealed with stainless to prevent rust and dust. Furthermore, it reduces noise, which is ideal for silent fishing.
The rotor gear is made of premium brass which makes the reel sturdy. The stainless-steel washers and the carbon fiber system make the operation smooth. Thus, you don’t need to put a drop of oil to its gear if it gets hard to rotate.
Like the KastKing Reel, the Piscifun Casting Reels are made of anodized aluminum. Its purpose is to provide optimum strength and reduce weight. Therefore, you will have more control of the rod, especially if you catch a fish.
As for the magnetic brake system, it gives constant brake weight throughout the caster. It also has a dial number that you can use for making accurate and quick adjustments.
Piscifun offers two pieces of reeling. The first is the right-handed reel for right-dominant people and the second is the left-handed reel for the lefties.
As mentioned earlier, the Piscifun Tuned Magnetic Brake System doesn’t need maintenance. However, you need to pull back the drag when not in use. In that way, it will help the washers and the strains to become relaxed; hence, resulting in a long-lasting rod.
3. Fiblink Fishing Reel Right/Left Handed
- Super smooth drag system and instant anti-reverse
- Free spool release button
- Comfortable nonslip cork grip with a epoxy
- 2.7:1 Gear Ratio, 4 +1 Ball Bearings, One-way Clutch
- CNC machined aluminum spool with large line capacity
The Fiblink Baitcasting fishing rod is one of the top bait casting reels in the market. It’s also the cheapest on this list, making it as the best baitcaster for the money. Nonetheless, it doesn’t mean that this product is of low-quality.
The Fiblink Baitcasting Reel features 9 + 1 ball bearings with two NMB bearings that come from Japan. These comportments provide a fine fishing and retrieving experience. Moreover, they give a long life to the rod.
The reel also has two anodized aluminum spools and a nylon body. The materials do not only make the rod corrosion-resistant but also sturdy.
The magnetic brake system lets you drop the lure to the position that you want. Furthermore, it offers smooth fishing and provides constant compression throughout the reel. Hence, you will have full control of the rod.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t have padded knobs, but it has a ceramic guide that removes line friction. Thus, it reduces the risk of line tangle.
Fiblink offers a 1-year warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee period. In the 30-day return policy, consumers can use the baitcasting rod for a month. If you don’t like it, you may return the product, and they will give you a 100% refund.
But if it exceeds 30 days, you may take advantage of the 1-year warranty. Yes, you cannot return the rod anymore, but you can call their service to assist you with your problem. You may also ask for a replacement, and they will deliver the package to you for free!
4. FISHDROPS Baitcasting Reels
- Smooth & Good Performance - Fishdrops Bait Cast Fishing Gear 17+1 corrosion protection ball bearings and One way clutch system (anti-reverse system). High-Speed Gear Ratio 7.0:1, which makes the reels more smooth and have a good performance.
- Double brake systems - One brake of this bait reel is a magnetic brake which fixed outside cap easy for adjusted. Another brake is a centrifugal brake, which was fixed inside the cap. it is supportive and strengthened for the magnetic brake based on the situation of fishing, especially helpful for the new fisher.
- Exquisite Appearance - CNC (Computer Numerical Control) machined aluminum spool with double color provides the baitcasting reel stronger for fishing. The high-Class painting of the baitcasters gives you a comfortable and luxurious experience.
- Powerful & Lightweight - Fishdrops Baitcasting reel's Superior Drag System offers incredible stopping power up to 12.12 lbs. High-strength nylon + glass fiber material structure gives the reel more light when fishing.
- Scope Of Application - Fishdrops Baitcaster Reels can be used in Saltwater Fishing, Freshwater Fishing, Boat Fishing, Rock Fishing, Carp Fishing, Bass Fishing, Surf Fishing, Lake Fishing, River Fishing, and Travel Fishing.
Shishamo rods are said to be the best bass fishing reels. However, it is also ideal for carp casting due to its gear.
Shishamo baitcasters have 17 ball bearings that are made of stainless steel. It also has a roller bearing that provides enjoyment to fishermen. Meanwhile, the stainless steel provides durability so you can use it for years.
Like other fishing rods in the market, this one also has an anodized aluminum spool. It gives strength to the reel without adding weight. Therefore, you don’t need to roll the spool too hard to pull up the fish.
It also uses an aerodynamic design with a silent high-speed gear structure and carbon fiber drag mechanism. Thus, it won’t produce an irritating sound if ever you catch a fish.
As for the handle, it’s covered with EVA padded foam so you can hold the knob tightly, even if your hands are wet. Hence, you don’t have to worry about dropping the reel in the water as you try pulling up the fish.
But if there’s one thing that makes it stand out from the rest, which would be the dual braking system. It uses advanced dual brakes that give you control of the fishing line, especially if you catch a big fish. Moreover, it provides an easy-to-fine tuning system for quicker and more accurate adjustments.
The Shishamo Dual Braking System rod is ideal for lake and saltwater fishing. But if you were to use this tool in the saltwater, you must wash it afterward before keeping it.
5. Lew’s Mach I Speed Spool
- Lew's Mach 1 speed spool: Baitcast reel features a 1-piece lightweight SLP graphite frame and side plates with 3 drain ports
- Zero reverse: Reel features premium 8 bearing system with stainless steel double shielded bearings and zero reverse 1-way clutch
- Speed gears: Baitcasting reel features high strength solid brass speed gears, cut on precision Hamai CNC gear hobbing machines
- Multi-setting brake (MSB): Externally-adjustable dual cast control system utilizing both an external click-dial for setting the magnetic brake, plus 4 individually disengage-able disk-mounted internal brake shoes that operate on centrifugal force
- Baitcasting reel: Reel features a machined, double anodized aluminum, 32 millimeter deep spool, a double anodized, aluminum drag star with an audible click and a durable Rulon drag system which provides up to 15 pounds of drag power
The last item in this saltwater baitcast reels review is Lew’s Baitcast Reel. It’s the most expensive among the five products, but it is the best baitcasting reel for the money.
Lew’s Fishing Baitcast Reel is the smallest rod on this list. It only weighs .65 pound , despite having 10 ball bearings. Hence, you could easily carry it around even if it caught a fish.
Though it is lightweight, it doesn’t mean that this one is of low-quality. Like the other brands on this enumeration, the structure is made of aluminum alloy which gives strength to the item. Nonetheless, it doesn’t add weight to the reel, making it easier to drag the fish.
Lew’s Fishing Tournament rod has 10 ball bearings. This number is enough to give a fun fishing experience to the user. Moreover, they make the rod long-lasting, so you don’t need to buy a new set every year.
This product has a four-pin spiral brake that lets you control the position of the lure. You simply need to adjust it, throw it in the water, and wait for a fish to bite the bait.
The tool also features a carbon fiber system and a cast control lever that let you pull up the fish with ease. However, the handle doesn’t have foam. But because it’s small, it won’t slip easily into your hands.
The gears are quiet and easy to operate. If a fish bites the lure, the spool won’t make a noise. Rather, it will turn the sound into vibration, which you can feel when you hold the rod.
Baitcasting Reel Buying Guide
Getting the right casting spool is not easy due to the number of choices you have. Thus, you get to choose the first item that you see as it is an easier way than reading reviews. However, this is the worst thing that you should do as you might get the wrong item.
There are few things to consider when buying the best reel for casting. But first, you need to know its different types and parts.
Low-Profile and Round Reels
There are two types of baitcasters and these are low-profile and round reels. Low-profile spools, otherwise known as tear-drop reels, are created to let the user palm the spool while retrieving. Meanwhile, round reels clench more lines as they are bigger than low-profile ones.
Round reels are used for catching pike and salmon and are made of aluminum or graphite.
Ball Bearings and Gears
Gears and ball bearings provide strength and durability to the rod. Gears are generally made of brass, but some have duralumin. Duralumin is a light yet strong material that is used by top-tier brands.
Conversely, ball bearings have a shield to make the reel more durable. However, some bearings don’t have a protective cover. Don’t buy such spools as they are of low quality.
There are different types of fishing lines available in the market. They are either made of nylon monofilaments, fluorocarbon, or multifilaments.
If you’re a beginner, you need to get a reel with a heavier line. These spools are easier to operate and are more available.
Generally speaking, baitcasting reels use a 10-pound line while spinning spools take 8 pounds or lighter. When you are using fishing lines, don’t overfill the space of the spool. Leave at least .125 inches so you can easily rotate the gear.
Baitcast reels use heavier lures than spinning reels. The lightest weight for baitcasting is 0.25 pounds.
However, baitcasting reels cannot cast lightweight bait. Therefore, you need to adjust the cast control when a lightweight lure is in use.
The standard gear ratio for baitcasters is 4:1. But some baitcasting tools use 5:5:1 to 7:7:1 ratios, which are less powerful when it comes to retrieving the fish. Nonetheless, the ratio can be customized according to the type of fish you want to catch.
Centrifugal and magnetic brake systems can adjust the spool tension. For rods that use a centrifugal system, they use pins to set the tension of the reel. Meanwhile, magnetic brakes use a metal to rejoin the magnets.
However, there are brands that use both systems. Rods that use both mechanisms can control the spool quicker.
Reels usually have a knob. Its purpose is to alter the spool tension. If the reel is disconnected, you must adjust the spool so that your bait will drop to the ground.
Big Game Spools
When you want to catch bigger fishes, you can use a reel that is specifically made for the tournament. The difference between the big game and an ordinary baitcast reel is that they are not made for repeated fishing. Rather, they are designed for open water casting.
In this type of reel, the spool is located near the shaft. Hence, it provides more power when trying to pull up a big, feisty fish.
Now that we’ve discussed the different types and parts, surely, you want to know how to get the right reel. Below are some tips to following when finding a reliable fishing spool.
Get the Perfect Gear Ratio
When picking the right ratio, you need to consider the lure that you use. If you’re using spinnerbaits or crankbaits, you can get a reel that has a 3:1 ratio. For soft plastics, Texas rigs, and jigs, a 5:1 ratio is a good option.
As for other lures, you can use rods that have 6:1 and 7:1 ratios.
Consider the Reel Size
Aside from the gear ratio, you must also consider the spool size. The dimension of your chosen reel must depend on the fish you want to catch.
For larger and stronger fishes, you need to get a casting tool that has a deeper spool. For smaller fishes, an ordinary baitcast reel is enough. Basically, the bigger the fish you want to get, the larger the spool you should buy.
Your Style of Catching Fish
There are different types of fishing techniques. Some use the flipping method while others prefer the pitching tactic.
When searching for the right casting reel, you need to consider the technique that you use for catching fish. You may get a spool that is specifically made for either technique. But you can also buy a reel that is designed for both methods.
Is It a Hobby or a Profession?
You also need to consider how often you will use the reel. It’s best to get a more expensive spool because you can be sure of its quality. But if you are a novice angler or fishing is only a hobby, you may choose a cheaper tool.
Nonetheless, it is best to read some user reviews to avoid wasting money.
Make Sure That the Reel Is Comfortable to Use
Comfort is the most important thing to consider when buying baitcasting reels. If you get a baitcasting tool that is uncomfortable to use, you won’t be an efficient angler.
A cushiony handle and a good reel-and-rod combo allow you to cast accurately. To ensure you get the right spool, take your time to test the item. Check the handles, tensioners, drag systems, and thumb latches.
Though you can buy reels online, it’s best if you visit an outdoor store. These outlets let you try out the spools. Moreover, you will find hundreds of items to choose from.
There are several good baitcasters in the market. You only need to take some time to do your research before you decide.
But if we were to choose the best baitcaster, our top pick would be the Fiblink Baitcasting Reel. Like other brands, it has all the features that you need for baitcasting. However, it is the only brand that offers a warranty and a return policy.