If you are a landscaper, you know for a fact that you need various tools for planting the grass seed or for reseeding. If the area is just small, a handheld spreader is the most feasible option for you. On the other hand, if the area is larger, then a broadcast spreader will be the perfect tool to do the job.
You will be able to cover bigger and wider areas even with few passes. The good thing about these spreaders, you have the option to attach them to wheelers to come up with a faster distribution.
Check out the best broadcast spreader according to the size of the area you need to work on. Compare their features and decide which one is the best option for you.
1. Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard Broadcast Spreader
- Use the Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard Mini Broadcast Spreader to apply Scotts lawn care products
- Comes pre-calibrated and fully assembled with a fold-down handle for easy storage
- Scotts exclusive EdgeGuard Technology keeps lawn product off landscaping, driveways, and sidewalks
- Features redesigned hopper and agitator for smoother product funneling and consistent coverage
- Holds up to 5,000 sq. ft. of Scotts lawn product, including grass seed and fertilizer - ideal for treating smaller areas
When it comes to the best spreader, the Scotts Turf Builder Broadcast Spreader is considered as an all-season spreader for distributing around your property. You can distribute seeds, rock salt, fertilizer, and melt. In fact, it is not limited to this list only.
It is a reliable spreader that provides you’re the chance to use a first-class distribution tool. It can regulate its spread rate efficiently so there are no product clumps in those places you have passed. It helps in avoiding spotty areas all over the place.
The Scotts Turf Builder Broadcast Spreader is specifically designed to spread the materials in a form of an arc. It is faster more convenient system rather than spreading it horizontally. This kind of equipment is created for larger lawns and areas and it can spread up to 5,000 square feet of product.
The good thing about it is that you don’t need to spend exorbitant time in spreading the products the entire day. Within just a couple of hours, you will be able to finish the task of spreading through the entire lawn.
The EdgeGard feature of this best lawn spreader prevents the spreading of the products to the non-lawn areas while you are working. Aside from this, it ensures that the application is even by controlling the control rate.
Scotts Turf Builder is created with the Scotts EdgeGard Technology which serves as its best feature. You will be able to spread your fertilizer evenly and smoothly as possible. Rest assured that your sidewalks and waterways won’t be block. Thanks to this innovative technology.
2. Titan Attachments 50lbs Professional Broadcast Spreader
- PROFESSIONAL QUALITY: If you're looking for a professional quality spreader for your garden, this broadcast spreader from Titan is a must have. This versatile tool will keep your property looking great.
- DURABLE LAWN EQUIPMENT: Unlike many seeders, the Titan spreader is easy to use and wont require constant repairs. This roller tool is one of the best options on the market for quick and easy operation that you can depend on season after season. All Titan tools are built with rugged materials made to last.
- LARGE CAPACITY DRUM: Constant refills while spreading can disrupt your rhythm and prolong the process. That's why the Titan broadcast spreader bucket holds up to 50 lbs. With our spreader, giving your grass the nutrients it needs couldn't be easier.
- QUALITY AXLE & TIRES: Like all Titan products, the difference is in the details. Work like a master gardener with this rugged machine. The axle and tires on our broadcast spreader are made with quality materials that won't break down over time. It's the best tool for reliable and dependable garden treatments. Our spreader features 3 flow settings.
- GREAT FOR MANY TERRAINS: Our broadcast spreader is efficient and effective on a wide variety of terrains. Its easy to maneuver around trees, roots, and brambles. It also runs smoothly on turf or sod without damaging grass. Treat your lawn with a professional Titan broadcast spreader today.
The Titan Professional Broadcast Spreader is considered the best fertilizer spreader because of its superb quality and performance. It is specifically made for professional applications like spreading fertilizers and herbicides.
The good thing about this equipment is that it can spread the products evenly and it can hold up to 50 lbs of product that you are going to spread. It features a durable gearbox as well as an axle that is built to last.
You don’t need to worry about finding the position or the sweet spot because it has a built-in 3 position handle that will take charge of it. Aside from this, it is versatile enough to work smoothly on any type of terrain.
The Titan Attachments Broadcast Spreader has a gross weight of 25 lbs so you won’t have a hard time pushing it because it is lighter compared to another broadcast spreader in the market. It is available in black color which gives its professional look and appearance.
The combination of steel and plastic makes this equipment super durable. You can use this even in extreme weather conditions. It measures 43” in height and 45” in width. It is perfect for all types of users.
If you are going to spread fertilizer, you can utilize the sliding lever that is used to control the opening of the hopper. It allows you to dial the speed rate of your choice.
Most of the users love using it because they no longer need to stoop in order to use it properly. The wide tires and material bin make it easier to accomplish the task of spreading the material in no time.
3. Agri-Fab 45-0463 Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
- 130 pound hopper capacity saves time refilling on larger acreage lawns"
- Durable rod linked on-off control with precise settings". Maneuverable
- Enclosed gear box with tapered gears for even spreading and long life"
- Large diameter tires with wide wheelbase for stability on rougher terrain"
- Optional hopper cover, material deflector and hopper grate available"
In the league of best lawn spreaders, the Agri-Fab 45-0463 Broadcast Spreader is known for its precision and accuracy when it comes to spreading your products. The Tow Behind Spreader is a tool meant to assist you for your farming needs.
If you need to evenly distribute the seeds or the fertilizer, this equipment will make it easier for you to accomplish it as long as the land has already been tilled. You can even mount it on a tractor if you have one for speedier process of spreading.
The model of broadcast spreaders also depends on the type of task you will be doing. They are primarily used for spreading fertilizer, but you can also use it for spreading other materials like herbicide and pesticides.
Some people also use the Tow Behind to clear snow and ice across the street and driveways. The good thing about this is its versatility. If you are living in a place where you need to till and spread the fertilizer, this might be the one you are looking for.
The Agri-Fab 45-0463 demonstrates what a broadcast spreader should offer. It is perfect for acreage lawns. You wouldn’t believe that it can work up to half an acre of lawn. The wheelbase is also large, so it will be easier for you to move even in uneven terrains.
The diameters of the tires are also wider compared to other ordinary broadcast spreaders in the market. It makes the equipment stable and effective even on rough terrains. As the best walk-behind spreader, you will also love the design because it is user-friendly.
4. Scotts Wizz Handheld Spreader
- Battery-powered spreader you can use year round—designed to spread grass seed, lawn fertilizer and weed control products
- Designed to cover up to 2, 500 sq. ft. using Scotts lawn care product
- 5-foot broadcast with control of EdgeGuard Technology
- Our most advanced spreader yet, powered by 4 AA batteries with 23 settings for unbeatable accuracy
- Perfect for lawn seed, fertilizer and weed control products
The Scotts Wizz Handheld Spreader is a handheld broadcast spreader that features the Edge Gard and Hand Lock Technologies that allow you to control the flow rate of the distribution process. You will appreciate its versatility.
You can use it for spreading weeds, fertilizer, feed, and ice melt. It is capable of being utilized for the whole year. Whether its summer or winter, you can use the Scotts Wizz because of its versatility.
One of the most important features of this broadcast spreader is its ultimate precision and accuracy. There is a built-in 23-spreader setting which you can utilize for different applications. It also helps in controlling the flow rate of materials.
The Scotts Wizz Handheld Spreader is battery-powered, so you rest assured that the speed will comply with your broadcast spreading tasks. The Edge Guard is another feature that keeps everything organized. It only directs the products on the place where you want it to be.
To make it more convenient and comfortable to use, this equipment is made with the HandyLock feature that reduces hand fatigue while you’re using it. It is ergonomic design is meant to provide ease of use even for long hours of usage.
This spreader has a total weight of 2.4 pounds, so most users find it easy to carry. When you avail this device, you need to assemble it right out of the box. The design is user-friendly, so you won’t have a hard time in joining it.
This is ideal for small yards, and the body is rust-proof even if gets wet. Most of the users praise it because they can work without having their hands tired from working.
5. Earthway 2150 Commercial Broadcast Spreader
If you are looking for the best broadcast spreader that can evenly distribute the materials on your tilled soil, then the Earthway 2150 Broadcast Spreader is the equipment to look for. This is famous for its capacity to ensure balanced fertilization.
If you want to make sure that your garden will remain healthy and fertile, it is necessary to distribute the fertilizer evenly to the entire place. You need to ensure that a significant amount of fertilizer is circulated in the soil.
You should know by now that fertilizers are heavy so you cannot carry it around using a tote bag. The Earthway Broadcast Spreader is the perfect way to carry it without making yourself suffer. This is a walk-behind broadcast spreader that can provide adequate fertilization to your lawn.
The reason why it is a popular model in the market is of its durable built and structure. Most of the people who have bought it praise it for its superb performance and longevity. It is made in the USA, so people trust the quality of the product.
You can adjust the drop rate of the seed using the setting. This is meant to cater the narrow part of the lawn. Aside from this, the pneumatic tires make it easier for you to roll it even on uneven turfs and terrains.
You can assemble the driving handle into different lengths of your choice. No matter what your height is, you will find it comfortable and convenient to use.
It is created with a heavy-duty steel frame that can load up to 175 pounds. The smooth ride is contributed by the pneumatic tires of this broadcast spreader.
Best Broadcast Spreader Buying Guide
If you are lucky enough to own a huge lawn or garden, you will surely need a broadcast spreader to make it easier for you to fertilize your soil. Broadcast spreaders are created for this reason, but choosing one can be challenging.
In this buying guide, take a look at how spreaders are used in detail. You need to know what they are, the different types, and how to choose the perfect one for your need.
What is a Broadcast Spreader?
The basic idea of broadcast spreaders is easy to understand. They are viable garden tools that operate by evenly distributing the fertilizer or the seeds on the lawn. They have the capacity to disperse if no matter how big the area is.
It’ll be easier to control the flow rate of the materials because they are usually offered with built-in flow settings that you can manipulate. Aside from this, this equipment is time-savvy. You don’t need to spend long hours of dispersing the material on your lawn.
Types of Broadcast Spreaders
There are different types of spreaders. It can be a drop spreader of a broadcast spreader. The use of both spreaders substantially depends on the kind of activity that you need to perform.
1) Broadcast Spreaders – These spreaders are also known by the term rotary spreaders. This is the most common type of spreader in the market. If you have a large area, then this is the perfect spreader for you. It can spray about 3-4’, so your job will be easier.
It is built with a hopper on top that functions by feeding the material to the horizontal spinning disk located below. The fins on the disk are the ones responsible for dispersing the material on the entire place.
Some broadcast spreaders have the ability to change the direction and the distance of the spread. They are also available in different materials like plastic or steel.
2) Drop Spreaders – This type of spreader is built with a larger hopper compared to the broadcast spreader. The material is dropped from below the hopper. The benefit of this is that it has good precision and accuracy. You can even push it over a particular area, so you don’t need to worry about spreading fertilizer in a non-soil area.
3) Handheld Spreaders – Regarding usage, the handheld spreader is the easiest to use of all. Aside from this, it is also very lightweight. You just need to toss a material like fertilizer in the hopper and turn the crank to start dispersing the seed.
Despite these benefits, the handheld spreaders cannot hold much compared to the broadcast spreaders and drop spreaders. It cannot also spread it too far. Also, precision can be a bit of a problem.
4) Pull Behind Spreaders – The Pull Behind Spreaders is a heavy-duty type of equipment. They are commonly called as Tow Behind Spreaders. You have the option to attach it to an ATV or tractor. The wheels are being used by this spreader to turn the horizontal spreader disk.
This is the perfect spreader for vast spaces. They are built with much durability and have bigger hopper capacity. Many professional gardeners opt to use this type of spreader for their daily tasks.
Choosing the Right Broadcast Spreader
Now that you know the different types of broadcast spreaders, it’s time to check how to know if one piece of equipment is better than the other. There are some factors that you need to consider before you buy this equipment.
These factors include your budget, the size of the entire land, and the durability of the equipment. Many people also consider the physical make-up of the spreader.
1) Total Size of the Lawn – The type of spreader you have should be in line with the size of your yard as well as the shape. If your lawn is uniform, a drop spreader is a viable option. If you have a smaller garden, a handheld spreader will do the job.
If you have a large area, you might want to consider a broadcast spreader. It can disperse the seeds or fertilizer in a larger diameter, saving the time spent in doing it manually.
2) Budget – Broadcast Spreaders are usually affordable. You can already get a good one without hurting your wallet. If you need it for professional use, you might want to consider buying high-end ones.
3) Longevity – If you can maintain your broadcast spreader in good condition, then it’s good, but there are spreaders in the market that are more durable than the others. If your spreader is made of plastic, you should not expose it to too much sunlight.
Spreaders made from steel are sturdier and can last longer. This is necessary if you are going to handle professional broadcast spreading.
4) Build Quality – Regarding build quality, it is important to consider the material used in making the hopper. Most of the time, they are made from stainless steel. This makes it very accurate and precise in the dispersion process.
On the other hand, hoppers can also be made from plastic. It is very durable and anti-corrosive. It is better to buy this type of hopper if you use it in a rainy season since metal can rust wet drenched with water all the time.
Tips in Using a Broadcast Spreader
It is advisable to familiarize yourself first with the spreader before you use it. The first thing that you need to do is to fill your hopper with the material that you are going to use as fertilizer. It is advisable to move on at a consistent pace to ensure the even distribution of the material.
Looking at the features of the listed products, it is safe to say that the best broadcast spreader is the Titan Attachments Professional Spreader. It can cover ample space for the natural dispersion of seeds and fertilizer.
Aside from this, it has a bigger hopper capacity compared to other ordinary spreaders in the market. Most farmers and other professional workers can benefit from this heavy-duty equipment.
You will also appreciate the spreader settings and their calibration. For beginners, all you need is practice to efficiently use this broadcast spreader and you should be able to use it to transform your garden or lawn.