The best cot for camping is an important and indispensable thing that you should not forget when you’re planning for some outdoor activities.
Preparing for an outdoor adventure can sometimes be a tremendous task, and this includes choosing the equipment and other materials that you must take with you.
In the camping area, there will be no toilet and there will be a lot of crawling insects. Additionally, sleeping in an unknown environment may make you uncomfortable. Thus, the best cot for tent camping is a must.
However, not all camping cots on the market are of high quality. You must look for one that you can use for a long time and one that gives you great value for what you pay for.
Best Camping Cot Review
1. Coleman ComfortSmart Camping Cot
- Superior support thanks to ComfortSmart coil suspension system and thick foam mattress pad
- Dimensions: 69 x 25 x 15 in.
- Steel frame supports up to 275 lb.
- Fits campers up to 5 ft. 7 in. tall
- Folds to fit into most car trunks
Coleman ComfortSmart is made by a trusted brand. The cot’s size is 69 inches by 25 inches by 15 inches when it is unfolded, and 34.3 inches by 25.4 inches by 5.5 inches when folded.
Everything is already assembled after you purchase it, so you don’t need to gather the parts to set it up. You just have to unfold and lock the legs if you want to use it.
Coleman claims that this product is light and easy to carry because it weighs only 21 pounds. It is also made with a durable steel frame that doesn’t corrode over time. Once folded, the product is compact enough to fit into your car or in storage.
Its foam mattress with quiet spring coil suspension doesn’t make any sound while you’re sleeping. It can support a weight of up to 275 pounds and height of 5 feet and 7 inches.
It is easy to fold it back as much as it is easy to set it up. The cot is an all-around bed that can be used by anyone, even by children or home guests. It also comes with a one-year limited warranty.
Coleman ComfortSmart has received positive reviews from most users even though it has a few downsides. One of the cons is the mattress because it has a tendency to go out of place. Make sure to fit the mattress within the frame so it stays in place while you’re sleeping.
Coleman ComfortSmart is recommended for people who don’t like to sleep on the ground, but still, prefer to carry a lightweight bed with them. It is also recommended for adventurous people who want to feel a comfortable sleep and a homey feeling while you’re on a travel or on a camping.
2. Kamp-Rite Oversized Kwik Camping Cot
- VERSATILE DOUBLE COT: Awesome solution for a spare guest bed or campground sleeping area
- SLEEPS 2 PEOPLE: 2 padded head sections allow 2 people to sleep comfortably with a weight capacity of 500 pounds
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN: Cot weighs only 33 pounds, making it easy to assemble and stow away
- PACKED DIMENSIONS (L x W x H): 42 x 11 x 11 inches
- ASSEMBLED DIMENSIONS (L x W x H): 85 x 55 x 19 inches
Just like Coleman, Kamp-rite is a popular brand that creates several kinds of camping gear. Kamp-Rite provides some of the best cots for tent camping in the market. They ensure that their products are innovative and created according to the users’ needs.
Kamp-Rite Oversized Kwik is one of the most on-the-go and spacious cots that you can buy because it has its own bag that you can take anywhere. The weight is 25 pounds and its dimension is 84 inches by 33 inches, which is larger than the size of the standard cots.
It has two drop-down pockets that you can use to store your phone, wallet, and other things. This feature ensures that you have your valuables close to you while you’re sleeping. In addition to that, these dropdown pockets convert to handles that enable you to carry the cot to another place.
This cot can support 400 pounds of weight. If you’re sleeping on it alone, you can fold it further so it could occupy less space. The cot has a dimension of 42 inches by 9 inches by 8 inches when it is folded.
This product is versatile enough to be used as a chair, lounge, or spare bed. It is also easy to set it up. Moreover, it stands 11 inches above the ground to leave you worry-free on rainy days.
However, because of its spacious feature, Kamp-Rite Oversized Kwik takes a lot of camping space. It is not an ideal sleeping system for small tents, and it is not as portable as the other lightweight cots.
It is ideal for people who move frequently while sleeping. It is also ideal for those who have a large camping area to accommodate the space that this cot can take.
3. Magshion Military Camping Cot
- [VERSATILE COT BED] With smart folding design, cot can easily open and set up in minutes. Best camping suppliers, can also be used to relax and lounge in your home backyard, at the beach or by the lake, and even the office for lunch rest.
- [PORTABLE DESIGN] -Folding and easy carrying cot make your trip more comfortable and easier.(included Storage Bag)
- [HEAVY DUTY]Flat Circle Tubes Frame Legs provide more support when rest on the cot. Rigid and supportive to large capacity. Aluminum Leg frame with bars at the bottom promise safe and sturdiness.
- [STABLE STRUCTURE]U-shaped legs distribute weight to minimize the possibility of damaging a tent floor.
- [DURABLE MATERIAL] Lightweight with sturdy structure and durable Oxford Cloth made, which is Water resistance, also easy to clean.
Magshion Military Camping Cot is the best lightweight camping cot that you can buy. It is made from steel and has a 13.5 inches by 24.5 inches by 72 inches dimension that can fit a person who is up to 6 feet tall and whose weight is up to 300 pounds.
The cot weighs only 8 pounds and is the lightest among the other products mentioned. It has a unique fold design to make it easier to transport and to store.
Magshion Military Camping Cot is also easy to set up and fold. Additionally, it has a bag that you can use to make it even more portable.
This product is versatile and can be used for any unexpected circumstances. For example, it can be used when an unexpected guest stays overnight in your home, for your child’s friend when there’s a sleepover party, or as a spare bed to sleep in when you just feel that you don’t want to use your main bed.
Because of its portability and lightweight features, Magshion Military Camping Cot is capable to fit only one person. There’s no available space for more people to sleep in unlike the Kamp-Rite Oversized Kwik cot. Furthermore, most users say that it is not as comfortable as the other products in the market.
This cot is designed for portability, and comfort is just a secondary feature. It is ideal for people who don’t like to carry a bulky sleeping system and can sleep in almost everywhere. It is the most ideal sleeping system for the kind of outdoor activities that require frequent moving to a lot of places, like hiking and hunting.
4. Mountain Trails Base Camping Cot
Mountain Trails Base is one of the best sleeping cots that garnered positive reviews from users. It is made from 600D Polyester that ensures comfort and easy maintenance. The powder-coated steel frame doesn’t corrode in the long run.
The Mountain Trails Base stands 30 inches high from the ground, so you can still sleep at ease even when flood water leaks into your tent. It is 30.3 inches wide and 6 feet and 7 inches in length.
Mountain Trails claims that this cot is easy to set up. The product that you’ll receive is in disassembled parts. You have to fit them all together in place.
Just like with Kamp-Rite, it has a bag that you can use for easier transport. It weighs 9 to 10 pounds which is slightly heavier than the Magshion Military Camping Cot. However, Mountain Trails Base is one of the simplest and inexpensive sleeping systems that you can buy in the market.
Mountain Trails Base is built for portability because of its lightweight feature. However, some users say that this cot is difficult to assemble. The legs are slightly rigid and require strength to fit them right into the frame.
The positive thing about this cot is that it doesn’t occupy a lot of space, so you can leave it at the corner unless you need to move to another place. You can stack them altogether if you have more than one Mountain Trails Base cot. It is made from 600D Polyester that’s why you’re sure that it’s not hard to clean.
Users say that this camping cot is comfortable and warm. You can also place an additional pad on it so you can sleep more comfortably.
It is recommended for people who are always on the go. The product is lightweight and weighs lighter compared to some standard cots. It is also ideal for strong people because most users say that the legs are difficult to fit if you don’t have the strength to put them in place.
5. Coleman Airbed Camping Cot
- Country Of Origin : China
- The Package Height Of The Product Is 7.1 Inches
- The Package Length Of The Product Is 37 Inches
- The Package Width Of The Product Is 10.23 Inches
Coleman Airbed is the best camp cot for comfort. It is designed to be used for indoors or outdoors. Coleman Airbed has a classy design because of the elevated airbed for sleeping support. It has a steel frame that is strong enough to support the weight of 600 pounds.
The cot and the airbed are separable to provide more sleeping space. Therefore, Coleman Airbed is designed to be a camping cot for two or more people. Furthermore, this camping cot has two side tables and cup holders which are designed for users who love to sight-see and to relax outdoors on a lazy day.
Coleman Airbed is designed to be closed on both sides so the children won’t fall if they move around while they sleep.
The product includes a 4D battery pump which is used to inflate or deflate the bed. The airbed has a double lock valve feature that serves as an air guard. This feature ensures that the air won’t escape the airbed if you don’t want it to.
The first lock feature prevents the air from escaping while you’re inflating the airbed. The second lock feature prevents the air from leaking out while you’re asleep. Coleman Airbed has an airtight system and is factory-tested to ensure that the airbed is durable enough to prevent the air from leaking.
The inflated cot weighs 92.6 pounds. It has a dimension of 59 inches by 22 inches by 78 inches. It can accommodate a person who is up to 6 feet and 2 inches tall. It is also high enough to let you in and out of the bed comfortably.
However, the batteries are not included in the package so you have to buy them separately. The good thing is that there’s a 120-V plug-in option that you can use when you have an electrical source. It is the second bulkiest among the products mentioned.
Coleman Airbed is recommended for people who want to go camping and stay on a single place to sight-see. It is not ideal for people who frequently move from one place to another.
Things to Consider When Buying a Camping Cot
1) How much weight you can carry – To choose the best camping cot, you have to consider the weight of the things that you’re going to carry around. Remember that there are other things that you have to bring with you along with a cot. You must ponder if you are still capable of carrying a bulky camp cot along with the tent, canned food, and other materials.
Remember that bigger and heavier cots provide more comfort because of the materials they are made of. Furthermore, ask yourself if you prefer comfort more than portability. Decide if carrying a big cot won’t be a burden to you if you go hiking or mountaineering.
2) Consider the characteristics and features of the camping cot that you will need – Camping cots differ in weight because of the materials they are made of or because of their size. Remember that cots made from heavy-duty steel are heavier compared to other cots that are made from other materials. Take into consideration that some cots have carrying bags that you can use for easy transport.
Make sure that the cot won’t collapse while you’re carrying it along the way. Also, remember that there are camping cots that require assembling. Some of these are difficult to fit in together, so make sure to bring a cot that you can assemble in your camping area.
Moreover, if you are not too tall or heavy, you may want to choose a lightweight or smaller cot. This will lessen the weight of the things that you need to bring with you in your camping.
You might also want to consider the cot’s fabric. You know that a lightweight cot is less comfortable than the bigger ones. The only option left for you is a good fabric that will provide you more comfort.
Furthermore, a good fabric doesn’t trap and accumulate dirt. For this reason, the best cots for tent camping use nylon and polyester. Cotton is not a good option because it traps dirt and adds to the overall weight of the cot.
3) Consider the location – Consider the place where you’re going. Ask yourself if you’re going to an outdoor activity that requires frequent moving from place to place like mountaineering or hunting. In these kinds of activities, bringing a lightweight cot is a smart option.
If you’re just going to a single place to relax and to sight-see, you may bring a bulkier but more comfortable camping cot with you.
Why You Should Consider Buying a Camping Cot Instead of Sleeping Pads
1) A camping cot provides more comfort and features – With a camping cot, you don’t have to sleep on the ground. There are camping cots that have side tables where you can place your food, book, or drinking cups.
Some cots have pockets so that you can place your valuables near you while you’re asleep. Furthermore, you won’t end up having a backache in the morning after sleeping.
A camping cot is easier to take in and out of the camping area because you just have to set it up. Additionally, your sleeping area will be higher from the ground which keeps you away from ground dirt.
Sleeping pads directly touch the ground’s surface, so you’ll have to worry about the possibility that the dust could go to your face once a strong wind blows. You’ll also have to worry about cleaning the underside of your sleeping pad because of the dirt that it catches from the ground.
2) You can sleep soundly on rainy days – The weather on higher areas like mountains and forests is unpredictable. If you sleep on a camping cot, you never have to worry about rain water leaking into your tent.
3) There will be less tendency for the insects to crawl to you – Insects crawling into your ears is one of the risks when you sleep outdoors. Sleeping in a camping cot mitigates this risk because you sleep higher from the ground.
The best sleeping cot for comfort among the products mentioned is the Coleman Airbed camping cot. Coleman Airbed provides more comfort because of its airbed. Moreover, Coleman has a lot of positive features such as the side tables that you can use to place your drinks or food while reading your favorite book on a camp site.
However, Coleman Airbed is not recommended for portability. It’s one of the bulkiest among the mentioned products. If you opt for a camping cot that provides portability while sacrificing the comfort, choose the Magshion Military Camping Cot. Magshion Military Camping Cot is the lightest among the products mentioned in this review because it weighs only 8 pounds.
It is best to consider your needs in buying a camping cot. Consider your ability to carry the weight of a sleeping system if you move from one place to another. It is also important to think about the outdoor activities that you’ll be doing in addition to the product features that you will need.