You can rely on a multiple selections of car battery brands once you need to replace your old battery because it gets old already or perhaps if it’s unintentionally drained. Having a dead battery is surely a hassle, especially without the availability of jumper cables as you would need road assistance for sure.
Fortunately, being proactive when it comes to battery replacement will guarantee that your car can go anytime and anywhere you need to go. This review of the top car batteries will help you do just that, giving you only the top-rated batteries on the market, including a brief buying guide that will also help you narrow down the choices eventually.
Keep in mind that the battery is the overall power of your car, providing electricity for the power windows, door locks, lights, and many other accessories. Once your battery is dead, your car dies as well. So, here are the best car batteries that are not only money-savers but also promise durability and quality all at the same time.
Best Car Battery Reviews
1. Optima Batteries 8040-218
- 12-Volt, 650 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 9 5/16" x 6 13/16" x 7 5/8" tall, Weight: 36.4 pounds, SAE Post,.300+ discharge/recharge cycles
- 98 minutes reserve capacity for constant performance
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather; the positive or red terminal is located to the right
- Fifteen times more resistant to vibration for durability
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
First off is the Optima D35 YellowTop battery with an average rating of 4.3-Stars. This car battery promises to provide an extra performance, including a deep-cycling capacity that every automobile demands for, especially those with lots of accessories such as a high-performance stereo or AV system, running lights, hydraulics, and winches.
Optima is among the best car battery brands worth considering due to its exclusive SpiralCell design, providing a clean and strong power source. This technology also promises to ensure your safety and the environment as well. This battery is perfect for regular use, considering its ultra low self-discharge rate.
The 12-volt Optima D35 battery has 650 cold-cranking amps, weighs at 36.4 pounds, and measures at 9 5/16 inches x 6 13/16 inches x 7 5/8 inches in dimension. For consistent performance, it provides a 98-minute reserve capacity with optimum starting power, despite bad weather.<
For added durability, this battery offers 15 times more resistance to vibration than other battery brands. The OPTIMA YellowTop AGM battery is also among the real-deal when it comes to the genuine dual-purpose auto batteries. With Optima’s 40-year history in technological engineering and innovation, this product comes in its lineup of unstoppable power, making it perfect for extreme enthusiasts.
This is the best car battery for commercial vehicles, including trucks, while working very well as a tractor battery, forklift battery, and other applications. Certainly, it offers ultimate power for the extreme professionals who need ultimate experience, regardless how extreme the conditions are because the Optima D35 battery technological advantage simply pushes the limits. Read our detailed review of the Optima 8040-218.
2. Odyssey PC680 Battery
- 170 CCA; Better warranty: Limited 2-year full replacement warranty, not pro rata; Longer service life: With 3-10 years of service life, ODYSSEY batteries save consumers time, money, and aggravation
- Longer cycle life: 70 percentage longer cycle life compared to conventional deep cycle batteries, up to 400 cycles at 80 percentage depth of discharge- high stable voltage for longer periods of time
- Faster recharge: The highest recharge efficiency of any sealed lead battery on the market, capable of 100 percentage recharge in 4 - 6 hours; Mounting flexibility: Non-spillable design
- Vibration resistance- design protects against high impact shock and mechanical vibration; Extreme temperature tolerant
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
Next up is the Odyssey PC680 Battery. Garnering a 4.7-Star as an average rating, this battery boasts a rugged construction to handle the constant pounding, regardless whether on the sea, land, or snow. It simply handles constant pounding, despite the territory.
This is one of the best auto batteries today as it is tightly packed with pure lead plates. The pure lead plates equate to more power, offering two times more the overall power and thrice the life of traditional batteries. Hence, it provides 400 cycles max at 80% depth of discharge. It also features a non-spillable absorbed glass mat (AGM), which is an exclusive from ODYSSEY for optimal protection against shock and vibration.
The Odyssey PC680 Battery is the perfect choice for wide ranges of power sports applications, including ATVs, motorcycles, snowmobiles, personal watercrafts, ultra light aircrafts, and others. This is because the construction of the Odyssey PC680 consists of pure lead plates for optimized recycling and the AGM that eliminates acid spill, while promoting high integrity terminal seal, conductivity, and corrosion-resistant, tin-plated brass terminals.
The sealed design results in gases recycled inside throughout charging or operation due to a safety relief valve in every cell, plus robust inter-cell connections to avoid vibration damage. It is, indeed, among the very good car battery brands nowadays, beating spiral-wound batteries of the same size, delivering more power and adding 40 percentage reserve capacity.
This 170 CCA battery also offers a longer cycle life – 70% longer than conventional batteries. It has faster charging capacity, making it capable of 100% recharging within 4 to 6 hours. Certainly, the Odyssey PC680 Battery offers mounting flexibility, better vibration resistance, and with extreme temperature tolerance. Read our Odyssey PC680 Review.
3. XS Power D3400 XS Series
- 12 Volt Battery With Ca: 1000, Ah: 65
- Absorbed Glass Mat (Electrolyte Is Suspended In Fiberglass)
- Spill Proof, Sealed, Valve Regulated And Vibration Resistant
- Ultra Low Internal Resistance, Mount In Almost Any Position
With an average rating of 4.6-Stars is the XS Power D3400 XS Series, offering a wide array of batteries, ranging from 12-pound 12-volt to 14-volt up to 30-pound 16-volt batteries. Every battery has been tested in circle tracks, dirt tracks, drag racing, boat racing, and in 300 MPH salt flat cars.
This is the best auto battery for many people because it makes use of the highest energy density technology ever produced in AGM batteries. In fact, the XS Power D3400 is the top choice when it comes to competition car audio.
Additionally, the AGM’s electrolyte is suspended in fiberglass, while offering a spill-proof, sealed and vibration-resistant design. It also provides a regulated valve with mounting flexibility and a super low internal resistance capability.
This car battery has generated a lot of positive reviews from consumers, saying that it is the best choice for all battery replacement needs. It is likewise ideal for those who are upgrading their sound systems. While it costs more than other models, the XS Power D3400 can last for more than 10 years, offering a direct fit with optimal durability.
Among the selling points of this battery is its M6 terminal bolt, allowing the user to fasten things right up. Also, the XS Power D3400 fires up very quickly. In spite its heavy-duty design, the quality, durability, and efficiency are never sacrificed. It is surely among the top car battery brands you’d want to consider as you shop for car batteries. Read our XS Power D3400 Review.
4. Exide Edge FP-AGM24F
Next up on the list is the Exide Edge FP-AGM24F, which deserves the 4.4-Star rating. It claims to be the very first and only AGM product that features the SureLife Graphite Technology, maximizing the available energy capacity in helping the battery perform longer and at a higher level.
Similar to the previous products, this 710 CCA auto battery also features a non-spillable AGM design. It has a greater capacity in handling heavy loads that are placed on batteries. Hence, the Exide Edge outperforms the conventional counterparts, while excelling in the toughest auto stress tests; thereby, proving a sustained performance.
According to several reviews of the best battery for car, its size is the perfect replacement for Toyota SUVs. Aside from arriving on time, the battery also comes well-packaged and fully-charged, allowing every user to replace the dead one and start the car immediately. It fires up the engine quickly, despite a 20-degree Fahrenheit climate.
Exide Edge’s SureLife Graphite Technology is surely a great option as it survives freezing weather better than the conventional acid lead batteries. It is also capable of accepting solar charging better than the counterparts. It can be mounted in various positions because of its non-spillage design, maximizing flexibility like no other.
Besides its top-notch performance during extreme driving environments, the Exide Edge FP-AGM24F offers unmatched efficiency and durability as it has also been tested in military and aviation applications. Thus, it is highly recommended for all the auto enthusiasts. Read our Exide Edge FP-AGM24F Review.
5. Kinetik HC1400R
- 12V High Current Car Audio Power Cell
- Sealed absorbed glass mat (AGM) design
- Can be used as a replacement for your vehicles standard battery
- Can also be used as an additional battery to power your high-performance sound system
- Perfect for 1400W car audio stereo systems
Last, but definitely not the least is the Kinetik HC1400R. Garnering an average rating of 4.5-Stars, this is considered as the best car battery due to its thin profile that fits many cars, while providing serious current for all demands.
This 1400-watt 12-volt battery is considered as the most powerful battery replacement for Mitsubishi OE and Honda. It provides power of 1500 amps and is designed for high-performance audio systems, although it is still graceful during normal driving conditions.
The Kinetik HC1400R Power Cells have the unwavering power in reaching more than 180dB, while boasting several competitions and victories worldwide, including the “Worlds Loudest Vehicle”. Its Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR) combined with its high energy density simply makes this battery the most compact, reliable, and powerful car audio power cell today.
In fact, hundreds of competitors, including the car audio enthusiasts and car video buffs make use of the Kinetik Power Cells because of the rapidly-growing voltage demands and high-current amplifiers. This battery simply pushes everything to the limits, while delivering high peak amps faster than conventional batteries. It also offers up to two times the life of its counterparts.
The cells are suspended through fiberglass mat separators, acting as absorbent sponges so as to result in a maintenance-free, high-performance, and no-leak design. All the more, it has high cranking amps with low self-discharge, plus greater vibration resistance. Over and above, the Kinetik HC1400R is the best automotive battery for all the car audio enthusiasts that never wants to compromise on optimal power and longer battery life. Read our Kinetik HC1400R Review.
Car Battery Buying Guide
There is no doubt that one of the above mentioned batteries could be your top choice by far. But, it is still necessary to learn about the current types of car batteries that are available on the market. The following information is the different types of car batteries, based on their group size, and for which automotive brand or model it perfectly fits.
Keep in mind that car batteries are available in different sizes, allowing you to pick the perfect size. Having the wrong-sized battery will not fit perfectly and securely, while providing insufficient power too. So, here are the widely available car batteries on the market today.
- Size 65 – Comes with a top terminal, and fits trucks, large cars and SUVs
- Size 75 – Comes with side terminal, and fits some of GM’s compact and mid-sized cars, and a few vehicles from Chrysler
- Size 24/24F – Comes with top terminal, and fits a lot of vehicles from Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Honda, and Infiniti
- Size 34/78 – Comes with dual terminal and fits large vehicles from Chrysler, including 1996-2000 pickups from GM, SUVs, mid-sized and large sedans
- Size 35 – Comes with top terminal, and fits most Japanese makes, Subaru vehicles, and most Toyota and Nissan vehicles
- Size 51R – Comes with top terminal, and fits most Nissan, Honda, and Mazda
- Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) – Comes with special technology that stands up to repeated recharging cycles and draining, compared to standard batteries. AGMs are becoming the standard equipment in today’s modern cars due to its safety features, convenience, fuel-saving capability, and other properties that increase the power demand.
Modern car batteries almost do not need maintenance. There is no need to top off or check the electrolyte levels. However, it is highly recommended having the battery tested or checked by a mechanic at least once in a year if you’re living in a warm climate.
The best car battery for cold weather does not count either, meaning that the battery just needs to be tested by a mechanic once a year as soon as it is already four years old, and if you’re living in a cold climate.
Maintaining your battery is not really a big deal, just make sure that it fits your vehicle as well as your driving needs. Getting the right size and type is the primary step, while checking your owner’s manual or relying on an in-store fit guide will reduce any hassle eventually.
Do Climate and Driving Condition Matter?
Both the climate and the driving conditions matter. So, it is very sensible to pick a battery that perfectly fits your current climate and your driving style or condition. In this regard, a thorough battery-life testing is crucial in warm climates, while frequent high temperatures tend to be tough on batteries, quickly vaporizing the electrolytes and increasing the corrosion of plates as well. Long battery life is equally essential during many short trips, which do not allow more time for recharging.
Besides the life-testing performance, it is also vital to choose a car battery that score well in cold cranking amps, including the reserve-capacity testing. The reviewed products in this article have performance variation and also differ in both tests.
Flexibility and Convenience
The best car battery brand also offers optimum flexibility and convenience. On that note, favor a brand that provides a handy plastic loop or handle, allowing you to lift and carry the battery easily. A 40-pound battery would give you the utmost convenience as well, allowing you to lower and install the battery on the tray, especially in tightly-packed engine compartments.
Major Considerations When Shopping
Obviously, there are a lot of things you must consider, while shopping for a car battery. But, the following are the major factors you must take note, comparing these features from one model over the other.
- Reserve Capacity – The reserve capacity rating simply refers to the ‘standing power’ of the battery. It is the amount of minutes that the battery can supply the minimum voltage continuously for the car to run in case the fan belt or the alternator fails.
An excellent reserve capacity rating allows your car to run even if the alternator falls short. A battery with a longer RC rating is always a better choice as it will serve as your emergency kit. Go through the product literature of your battery or ask for assistance to find out the real RC rating, before your purchase.
- Age – A fresh car battery is one that is less than six months old. Hence, it is wise to look at the manufacturing date of your product as the date codes are generally stamped on the label or battery case.
- Cold-Cranking Amps – Also referred to as the CCA, is the battery’s capacity in measuring its ability in starting a car, despite extremely cold weather conditions. Your car usually finds it hard to ignite or start during freezing temperatures because the engine oil tends to thicken and other chemical reactions slow it down. Having a battery with high CCA is also better, ensuring that your engine will ignite obediently, regardless the snowy mornings.
Battery recycling is also an added tool or knowledge that you need to learn. It is already a given fact that every car battery contains hazardous lead and acid, but these toxic components can be recycled. Today, the majority of retailers will do the disposal of your old battery. The good thing about this process is a refund privilege once you bring in an old or dead battery and purchase a new one. Even the best car battery brands recognize this eco-friendly process.
READ: Best CB Antenna Reviews
So, what is the best car battery? In spite the wide ranges of selections on the market, it is now easier to choose the best product. Simply consider the battery’s physical size, including your car manufacturer’s requirements. Aside from the cost, going for the maintenance-free option will give you the maximum convenience, instead of choosing the maintenance-required batteries as these options do not last long compared to its counterparts.
If you have a severe service or an off-road duty vehicle, it is sensible to pick a car battery with a strong casing, preventing any lead plate failure eventually. Choosing the best car batteries for cold weather or otherwise is always crucial, helping you ignite your engine quickly and preventing battery failure over time.