For most interior projects, caulking is one of the most important key elements. It is a highly regular household item used for sealing gaps and weatherproofing. To make the application easier and more reliable, it is important to choose the best caulking gun for your needs.
There is a broad range of caulking guns that you can choose from in the market which makes the selection process a lot more difficult than you think. These guns vary in size, price, and features. If you read on, this buying guide presents the top-rated caulking guns in the market based on your projects.
There are high-end versions that can give you outstanding quality and promising benefits. Check out their specifications and see which one of these products is a must-have in your home.
Best Caulking Gun Review
1. Newborn Brothers Newborn 930-GTD
- Steel half-barrel (also called cradle) frame caulking gun for 1/10-gal. cartridges
- Thrust ratio of 10:1 for use with low viscosity materials
- Smooth pressure rod requires less force and is quieter than a ratchet-style pressure rod
- Rod retracts after each pull of the trigger to help prevent dripping
- Handle and trigger are padded for comfort
The Newborn 930-GTD is the best caulk gun for its versatility. This is built with a steel half-barrel frame that is compatible with 1/10-gal. cartridges. If materials are of low viscosity, it can be set to a ratio of 10:1 thrust.
Less force is required by the horizontal pressure rod, and it runs quietly compared to the ratchet-type pressure bar. If you pull the trigger, the rod will automatically retract to remove the build-up of pressure from the tube. This action prevents dripping.
The trigger and the handle are made with a pad to make it comfortable to the wearer. To secure the cartridge in place, a welder plate is positioned at the back. You will notice at the side of the gun that there is a seal puncture tool and a spout cutter for opening the cartridge even without the use of a knife.
These caulking guns are known as cartridge guns that have the ability to release a controlled flow or pressure for products like caulk, adhesives, and sealants. There are also standard caulking guns with a frame that is holding the tube.
Most of the users of each caulking gun praise it for its reliability. It is commonly used for house painting services because they find the build quality incomparable to other products. The gauge is made of a heavier metal and consists of good welds.
The Newborn 930-GTD is also very simple to use. You don’t need to be hassled with a lot of buttons because it is created with few ones that are optimized for the main features.
2. Dripless Inc. ETS2000 Ergo Composite Caulk Gun
- DRIPLESS SOLUTION: An industry original, the Ergo Composite Caulk Gun retracts after each trigger pull to prevent dripping and loss of product. Professionals trust the Dripless 12:1 Thrust Ratio - for its durability and reliable consistent flow control
- STURDY & EFFICIENT: Our durable design is for frequent high volume use. It offers a medium 12:1 thrust ratio perfect for gunning caulking sealants of all types, from silicone to acrylic latex blends. Easy to handle, pull the trigger for seamless caulking
- COMFORTABLE HAND GRIP: For a long workday, the padded, ergonomic grip and trigger keep your wrist and fingers in a natural balanced position to comfortably maneuver the tool. Unlike metal guns, the light frame helps to alleviate muscle and work fatigue
- VERSATILE TOOL: A revolving barrel freely rotates in tight corners and spaces to help keep the bead profile consistent. Don’t get down, hook it to the ladder to easily reload. A built-in nozzle poker and cutter easily opens cartridges without a knife
- INDUSTRY ORIGINATOR: A trusted brand since 1992, Dripless manufactures innovative, premium caulking and dispensing guns for the Contractor, Tradesmen and DIY Enthusiast. They stand behind their high quality, affordable and well-made tools 100%
The Dripless Inc. ETS2000 is a good caulking gun because of its lightweight features. This is considered as a high-quality unit by many. The drive of fluid is produced to be firmer because of the tube roller mechanism.
The precision cutter is sure to be a delight for most users because you can get your desired angle for the cut. All you need to do is to master it and find the best feed-level for your task. However, you need to take note that the cuts should follow the “less is more” principle.
The composition of this caulk gun is adamant regardless of its lightness. When it is used for a tough job, nothing beats the Dripless ESTS2000. You will love its cutting tool inclusion because you don’t need to find a Stanley to accomplish the task.
This functions as a safe cutting device that can be re-loaded while the job is on-going. If you are going to perform a basic job, then Dripless ETS2000 can also do a splendid job. Regarding the metal, it can bend and roll with the punches.
Most users consider this as their top choice for mess-free caulking. They can do a lot of techniques while using this caulking gun. They noted that the designs make it easier to handle while caulking.
The most praised feature of this caulking gun is its non-drip mechanism unlike the other ordinary caulk guns in the market. Indeed, quality and durability are the key features to consider in this caulk gun.
3. Tajima CNV-100SP Caulk Gun
- AUTO-FLOW STOP - Plunger automatically retracts 2 millimeters after each push to efficiently stop flow
- FULLY ROTATING HANDLE - Handle rotates 360 degrees for easy tip angle adjustments and maneuvering in tight spaces
- TWIN THRUST SYSTEM - Advanced twin thrust dispensing system strengthens the force of the plunger enhancing the flow of materials
- EXTRA LONG BARREL - Extra long, steel welded barrel allows for quick, hassle-free cartridge reloads while maintaining long-lasting durability
- SEAL PUNCTURE PIN INCLUDED - All Tajima caulking guns come standard with a seal puncture pin to easily open new tubes
In the league of dripless caulking guns, Tajima CNV-100SP is one of the market leaders. This product features a Twin-thrust friction dispensing action. The handles are also rotating for faster action. Users have total control of their task, thanks to the Auto Flow Stop drip mechanism of the Tajima CNV-100SP.
This caulk gun is also built with steel-welded barrels and thrust plates for support. The aluminum handles are meant for stability and accuracy of performance. Aside from this, tube loading is made easier without any complications.
The Tajima CNV-100SP is a perfect tool for remodeling projects. It won’t continue flowing when you release the handle. The extra-long barrel is also very helpful. Regarding durability, you won’t have any problem with this because it’s built to last.
Some users love how wonderful its capacity and performance is during renovation projects. The sheet metal effectively holds up as they are worked with. This proves how effective and efficient this caulking gun is.
Other users noted that at the release of the handle, you can just put the device down without worrying about the caulking coming out from the tip of the gun.
The longer length of this gun makes it very convenient for working on hard-to-reach areas. You also don’t need to put so much effort in smashing tubes. The poker of this caulk gun is also longer compared to other ordinary caulk guns on the market.
Another thing that you’ll like with this caulk gun is that it always stays in place. To improve its features, maybe a cutter should be included.
4. Albion Engineering B12S20 Manual Caulk Gun
- 12:1 manual drive 20 oz sausage adhesive caulking gun, with 2" diameter aluminum barrel. Thrust: 375 lbf, Pressure: 120 psi
- Designed for standard viscosity materials.
- Features include full size handle for comfortable and efficient dispensing, double gripping plate technology for no slipping and long life, convenient rotating swivel barrel, and durable sausage pistons prevent bag-wrap.
- Dispenses 10oz, 13oz or 20oz sausage packs. Can be converted to dispense bulk or 10oz / 12oz cartridges with parts included.
- Legendary Albion design and quality make this tool a leader in value.
The Albion Engineering B12S20 is a manual drip free caulking gun with 12:1 Driver. This is built with a 20-oz thrust and weighs 375 lbs. The pressure measures 120 psi in 2″ diameter. As a manual caulking gun, it is designed for long life and excellent durability.
The Albion Engineering B12S20 can dispense caulk as accurately as possible without any problem. It can also work well with materials with lower viscosity. You’ll find this very easy to work with because it is lightweight.
This industrial-grade caulk gun can get most jobs done with precision and accuracy. You can use it for latex, silicone caulks, and even with acrylic. Extra features of this caulk gun include a revolving swindle handle.
The pistol style grip and the trigger-like handle for easy operation. This caulk gun distributes the caulk evenly in all areas of coverage. All you need to do is to squeeze it, for the caulk to be released.
Your grip strength also determines the flow of caulk in this manual seal gun. Remember, you should have total control of it because this is the source of your dispensing power. However, if you are experiencing problems with your grip, then this might not be the best type of caulk gun for you.
Many treat this as their best labor saving device because they can apply sealants on their rooftop without any help from service men. The seal is incredible, and it can come up with a smooth finish for all your products.
5. COX 41004-2T Manual Caulk Gun
- Mechanical advantage 26:1
- Standard 10 oz. cartridge
- Built-in ladder hook
- Thumb activated instant pressure release
- Made in the UK
The COX 41004-2T has a mechanical advantage of 26:1 and runs on a standard 10-oz cartridge. To make it more convenient, it has a built-in ladder hook and a thumb-activated release that instantly releases pressure.
The tool boasts its universal epoxy cartridge system that features a two-component design for added benefit and efficacy in performance. Aside from this, it supports straps and has a ladder hook.
Another feature that you will like in this product is the Thumb activated instant pressure release. This can save much of your time and effort in controlling the flow of the caulk while you are working on it.
The built-in ladder hook is a plus as well as its mechanical advantage of 26:1. The maker of this caulking gun promises that regardless of the type of project you are working on, this gun is a big help in sealants and acrylics. Its function is inevitable to most of the technical tasks.
Most of the users of this caulking gun praise it for its smooth operation. They also noted that the thrust ratio could be noticed as you are dispensing the product you are using. To give an example, a customer has used it in repairing a gutter leak and experienced that the gutter sealant had a smooth repair process.
The COX 41004-2T caulking barrel is rotating, which allows you to place its tip in different positions. This saves you from the hassle of changing your hand position from time to time. However, note that you need to open it with a puncture tool.
Best Caulking Gun Buying Guide
Caulking guns can be a vital tool for many of industrial projects as well as DIY projects. You can seal gaps around your sink and toilet through this gun and you can also weatherproof your projects. These uses are not limited because there are a lot of applications where you can utilize a caulking gun.
Different Types of Caulking Guns
You might choose your caulk gun based on the most affordable one, but it should not be the case. You wouldn’t like to end up with a wasted item and a total mess, right?
There are higher-end versions in the market, and they offer comfort and good performance to the users. They can also be used in different applications in your home, and that is why investing in the best caulking gun is a good choice.
READ: How To Load Staple Gun
Basic Caulking Guns
This type of caulk gun functions by depressing a plunger and pulling a trigger at the same time. These actions will release the caulk of your chosen product. They are widely available in the market and not hard to find.
The disadvantage of a plunger is that you need to continuously exert force even after you have released the trigger. This causes oozing even if the trigger is already released. Note that you need to put the gun somewhere where there is a vessel to contain the oozing caulk.
You wouldn’t like to spend the whole day depressing the trigger. You will inevitably end up with sore and tired hands in this case. You can protect yourself with sores and blisters by using a latex to cover the trigger.
Primary caulking guns also vary in quality and features. It can spell out the difference between a caulk gun that is useful and a gun that is a pain in the neck. Take a look at the plunger rod. It is available in two types. The first type is composed of smooth rods that will give you total control in the process of caulking.
You need to open the tube of the caulk by using a knife. It is better if you will use the built-in cutter of your gun if ever it has one. Using the cutter can create precise and more even cuts compared to ordinary knives.
If you are going to choose a caulk gun, it is also recommended that there is a built-in wire for cleaning the tube, so you don’t need to poke it anymore.
High-Grade Caulk Guns
These professional-grade caulking guns are built to deliver optimum caulking performance. It is made to last. You don’t need to question its quality because you will prove it with your industrial projects like remodeling of houses and weatherproofing. Here are some of its features.
- Dripless Mechanism – When you release the trigger, the caulking is meant to stop flowing automatically. There is no need to twist the plunger anymore to release the pressure.
- Seal Punch Tool – This is a built-in feature that contains inner foil seal. Not all caulk guns have this feature.
- Built-in Cutter – This functions by trimming the cartridge based on your desired size of the opening.
- Ladder Hook – The ladder hook can be used in hanging the caulking gun on a scale while you work for more convenience.
- Open Frame – There is no need to use the cradle for holding the tube with this feature.
- Higher Thrust Ratio – When you pull the trigger, more thrust is being transferred to the gun’s shaft. It makes it possible to avoid sores and stiffness.
Battery Powered Caulk Guns
Battery-powered guns are very comfortable to use and they wouldn’t tire your hands as well. They function with the use of double A batteries, and there are also rechargeable options in the market. If you are going to use it for home repair, a 10-oz gun is the perfect choice for you.
This type of caulk gun is not recommended for industrial use. They are not built to be heavy-duty enough to withstand the demands of industrial applications like the remodeling of structures.
Pneumatic Caulking Guns
These guns are connected to air compressors. They are comfortable to use and excellent in dispensing caulks that are with high viscosity. You can choose the volume tube that you will use along with the product depending on the project.
However, you must keep in mind that bigger caulking guns are not always the best option. If you need to store a significant amount of caulk, then that’s the only time to resort to large caulk guns. It is still easier to control average-sized guns because they are more lightweight.
How to Use Caulk Guns
Owning a caulking gun requires enough knowledge and training in using it to ensure that you’ll have a successful caulking process. These are the steps in using it:
First, you need to press the release with your thumb that will trigger the release the plunger located at the back of the gun. Then, you can pull the plunger back. You can now put the tube in your caulk gun.
To load the gun, you need to push the plunger. Be sure to do it tightly and quickly before you remove your thumb. You can cut the tip of the cartridge to match the size of the gap. To puncture a hole, all you need to do is to push the nail down.
To do it properly, be sure to squeeze the gun or trigger slowly. If you reach the part where you cannot press it anymore, then it is when you can release it. After you’re done with the process, you can smooth it out using your hands.
A great caulking process depends on the type of caulk gun you are using at the time. Aside from this, it can also depend on the way you release the trigger. This is why proper training is required before using this device.
Caulking guns are essential when it comes to most of the DIY and home projects that you have. With the abundance of choices in the market, it can be challenging to choose the best one for your needs.
The Tajima CNV-100SP Caulk Gun is one of the top-rated caulk guns in the market, and that is why it is recommended by most of the professional users. It is also applicable for average home users. The features include a built-in cutter and ladder hook which can’t be found in other ordinary caulk guns.
In selecting the right caulk gun, consider the type of project you are going to work on before determining the kind of caulk gun to use. You can choose from basic, pneumatic, or battery-powered caulk guns. Remember all of these considerations to end up with the right product.